Plan ahead...It is possible!
Because study abroad opportunities are academic experiences that will contribute to the students' degree requirements, students may use their financial awards to help cover the costs of tuition and associated expenses. While it is possible that a study abroad experience may not cost any more than living on campus, all students are encouraged to contact their financial aid advisor in the Office of Student Financial Assistance. Students are also welcome to contact the Office of International Education Scholarship Advisor Karla Guinigundo at guinigkm@MiamiOH.edu.
Federal Financial Aid – Students must file a FAFSA to be eligible for federal financial aid. Typically, financial aid is used during the fall and spring semesters. If a student chooses to study abroad for a full semester, financial aid may be applied. Should a student choose to study abroad in the summer, aid may or may not be available depending on the amounts used in the first two semesters. Click here for Miami's official page on the FAFSA.
Miami-Administered Scholarships and Aid
- Farmer School of Business - for FSB students participating in Farmer School of Business summer faculty-led, winter break faculty-led, FSB exchange programs, and sponsored and co-sponsored programs.
- Lifelong Learning - $1,000 awards available for Miami faculty-led programs during the summer.
- Luxembourg Program Scholarship - need and merit based scholarships are available. Admitted students are automatically considered for most scholarships, no separate application is required. Two scholarships require a paper application which can be found in the Learning Content of an accepted student's online application. Awards range from $1500 - $6000.
- Havighurst International Minority Scholarship - available to undergraduate students of Native-American, African-American, Hispanic-American, and Asian-American ethnicity with financial need for use on any Miami University, co-sponsored, exchange, or faculty-led program (summer and semester programs.)
- Study Abroad Airfare Grant - Miami students who have filed a FAFSA and meet financial need criteria are eligible for up to $600 in the form of an airfare grant and may receive an additional $600 in the form of an interest-free university loan. The airfare grants can only be used for semester or year-long study abroad programs.
- Moloney, Ostberg, and Saylor Scholarships - The Ray Moloney Scholarship Fund, the Karen Ostberg Prize, and the Saylor Study Abroad Scholarship Fund award multiple scholarships up to $1000 for students participating in semester or year-long sponsored, exchange and co-sponsored programs. Applicants are evaluated based on academic merit and financial need (Ostberg Prize does not require financial need).
- Koons Family, Osgood, Resor, and Snyder International Exchange Scholarships - up to $1,000 available to students participating in ISEP exchange programs.
- WCAA Study Abroad Scholarships - The Western College Alumni Association (WCAA) offers multiple study abroad scholarships up to $1000 for semester and year-long sponsored and co-sponsored programs. (Students participating in exchange programs should apply for the WCAA International Exchange Scholarship listed above.) Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA and have financial need according to the FAFSA.
- WCAA International Exchange Scholarship - available to students participating in exchange programs.
- Regional Campus Scholarships - financial aid may be available for Regional Campus students.
- Teacher Education (EDT) Scholarships - donors have funded more than 140 scholarships for students enrolled in the School of Education, Health, and Society.
Miami University Waivers
These can be used toward Lifelong Learning credit workshop tuition only. Program fees still apply and are the responsibility of the student. Such waivers include, but may not be limited to:
Students participating in Co-Sponsored programs cannot take the Ohio Leader and Resident Scholarships abroad and can only take Miami scholarships up to the amount of the tuition charge. Scholarships cannot be used for room, board, travel, books, or miscellaneous fees. For Co-Sponsored programs, students must be enrolled full-time in a fall or spring semester study abroad program. The use of Miami scholarships on Co-Sponsored programs is limited to one semester unless the specific study abroad program only has a year-long option. Students may only use their Miami scholarships to study abroad on Co-Sponsored programs once during their college experience.
- Diversity Abroad Scholarship
- Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grant
- Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program
- BUTEX North American Scholarship
- DAAD German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship
- GoAbroad.com Scholarship Finder
- Boren Scholarship\Fellowships (NSEP)*
- Critical Language Scholarship*
- Gilman International Scholarship*
- Fulbright Fellowships*
Study Abroad Funding Search Engines
- Miami Office for the Advancement of Research & Scholarship (OARS)
- Diversity Abroad Scholarship Search
- GoAbroad.com Scholarship Finder
- Institute for International Education Study Abroad Funding Site
- Pivot Database
*Students interested in applying for these scholarships should contact the Office of International Education.